Triad Custom Metal Bellows: Engineered to Maximize Expansion Joint Life Cycles
Triad’s CycleMAX™ Metal Bellows are engineered to maximize the cycle life of an expansion joint. Over 75% of our custom designed products use multi-ply bellows (also known as laminated bellows and multi-wall metal bellows) construction. To meet the in-plane stability requirements of EJMA 9th edition, manufacturers today must increase the material thickness in their design calculations, resulting in reduced expansion joint life cycles. Years of experience, along with proprietary machinery and lean manufacturing techniques, allow us to produce superior multi-ply metals bellows trusted in the most critical applications. AND—this is done with little or no additional cost.
What are multi-ply bellows?
The term multi-ply bellows means that multiple tubes are telescoped together before the forming process. Each tube is fitted closely over the next so that after the convolutions are formed the proper hoop strength is achieved. In the Triad design process we select the right number of plies (usually between two and five) to balance performance and economy.
During bellows movement, each layer in the multi-ply bellows design bends independently of the next. Resulting stresses are much lower in the thinner layers of the multi-wall bellows design (as compared to one thick layer in a single ply metal bellows design).
Multi-ply bellows expansion joints are frequently used in high vibration applications because the multiple layers of material have a dampening effect. Care must still be taken in the engineering process to make sure that the natural frequency of the bellows design is compatible with the natural frequency of the engine or equipment.
Why use Triad multi-ply metal bellows?
1. Because Triad’s multi-wall metal bellows are laminated with thin layers, the stresses induced are very minor compared to a single-ply metal bellow. The lower built-in and reduced operating stresses of a laminated bellows construction result in longer service life and lower spring forces.
2. Triad’s Multi-ply metal bellows help insure that you will never experience a sudden failure. If a corrosion stress crack or cycle fatigue crack should happen to occur, the multi ply construction of Triad’s CycleMAX™ Metal Bellows ensures the pressure is contained, the joint is held intact, and the equipment still functions properly until a replacement is made.
3. The unique design of Triad’s Multi-ply metal bellows means lower spring rates for a given pressure capacity.. Therefore, the result is lower forces on the anchors supporting the entire piping system. You achieve longer overall connected equipment life–translating into overall cost reduction.
4. Triad’s Multi-ply bellows are designed and engineered to give the best value for your investment $$. Because multiply bellows have more flexibility than conventional bellows they can be designed more compactly. Also, with higher flexibility and movement capacity, Triad’s Multi-ply bellows can absorb the same number of displacements as a thick single wall expansion joint with substantially more cycle life.
5. Materials chosen for Triad’s laminated bellows construction can be designed to withstand high temperatures and corrosion environments. For economic solutions in corrosive applications, multi layer construction can get the same results by placing the corrosion resistant alloy layer only on the area that is in direct contact with the media. The rest of the construction may be manufactured with more economical standard metals.
Single Ply Metal Bellows
Not every situation calls for multi-ply bellows: there are times when single ply bellows do the job sufficiently. Triad’s single ply metal bellows are formed using the same precise method as our multi-ply bellows. We are happy to help you decide; simply ask our bellows experts for an EJMA 10th Edition design calculation for both single ply and multi-ply bellows. Take advantage of our expertise; we’ll provide you with information to make the correct decision for your specific application.
The experts at Triad Bellows have the experience, design and engineering knowledge–combined with proprietary machinery and tooling–to produce superior single-ply or multi-ply metals bellows trusted in the most critical applications.
Request a quote on line or Contact us today for solutions to your problems associated with thermal piping growth and vibration.